[SunHELP] IEE 1284 on bpp Sparc 20 / sun4m

P Nutton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 04:38:04 CDT 2001

> Gee I have an HPLJ 5MP that I thought used an IEEE 1284 port,
> and I've never
> had a problem printing to it from a Sparc 5. Are you sure
> you're connecting the
> cable correctly? You do know that the parallel port on a
> Sparc 5 is a special
> connector, right?
>
> -Mike

We have loads of parallel printers running or which have run from Sparc 5,
this is the first one we have failed with. Yeah, we have the right port and
long cable, running from the compact parallel port on the Sparc 20 to a male
25 pin normal size. It then goes through a gender changer and to the 25 pin
male end of the printer cable, other end being the compact parallel 1284
socket on the printer. The Sparc 20 cable works when used to other printers.
The new printer cable works fine when used with an Ultra5 or PC. Any
combination works, except the one we want. We have even wheeled in an Ultra
1 and used the exact same cables that worked on the Ultra 5, without sucess.
Not even a flashing light or an error message. Bah. The HP 8550 must be
<really> fussy about input. We tried sticking a parallel print buffer in the
chain (after blowing the dust off it) and got a single sheet of output, but
this really isn't a long term solution.
--
Paul Nutton

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is commercial in confidence. If you are not the named addressee(s) or if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  Please notify us immediately by email at intadmin at awe.co.uk, and then delete this message from your computer.  While attachments are virus checked, AWE plc does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.