[SunHELP] SS20 VSIMMs or alternative Framebuffers

Gereon Stein sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 31 06:23:18 CST 2001

Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > I have the chance of acquiring an old SS20 (Model 71) which has one drawback:
> > No VSIMM installed.
>
> hmmm, always a bummer, but the sparc20 is definitely a nice machine, i should
> know, got two at home and one on my desk at work. :)

Nice toy to come by, really. Especially after I got the price confirmed :-)

I'll keep checking on eBay for the VSIMM though, memoryx _do_ carry them,
but $228 is tough for a mere 8Megs, blame it on the scarce supply, I guess.

I need to get something 24bit, though, cause that machine is to replace
my PeCeh scanning server, so I need the color depth.

> having just gone through this whole dance myself, here's what i've found.
>
> if it's SBus and 24-bit there is a 97.99% chance it hasn't been supported
> since Solaris 2.6, the SX is supported, the ZX isn't, etc...

Read so, too. However, there's a 99% chance it won't have to be supported by
Solaris anyway. I hear the Linux (yeah, blame me) sun24 server doesn't like
the SX (yet?) but I want to find out myself.

And there's a complete Sol2.8 package waiting, should Linux fail me ;-)

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Jerry