[SunHELP] double IO redirection

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 29 12:55:34 CST 2001

What you need is to use/install expect.
Does exactly what you are looking to do.

Mark

Please respond to sunhelp at sunhelp.org

To:   sunhelp at sunhelp.org
cc:    (bcc: Mark Sailer/GTS/NYC/INSTINET)
Subject:  Re: [SunHELP] double IO redirection

>  > >
>>  >Your question is odd.  Both your shell and the program your shell forks
>>  >and execs use your tty/pty as stdin/stdout/stderr . . . so what are you
>>  >trying to accomplish?  Describe the situation.
>>  >Nick Dronen
>
>  Since the description still isn't very clear about all that can
>really be suggested
>is to use the exec command to redirect stdin from a file in your script. The
>  "<" symbol is for STDIN redirection and the ">" symbol is for STDOUT
>redirection. You should probably read the man page for sh (or whichever
>interpreter you wish to accomplish this in).

Basically I have a shell script that needs to perform some automated
tasks over a network.  For example say i wanted to automate a login
process.  I want to be able to write a script that reads from the
output of telnet and then writes its responces accordingly outputting
them to telnet.  is that possible in plain BASH?
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org