[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #792 - 10 msgs

Kurt Huhn sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 27 09:40:23 CST 2001

> not anti Windows/MS/GUI, anti Outlook.  you ever use outlook?  it's a
giant
> flaming piece of dreck that needs to be tossed into a void somewhere.  you
want
> GUI, there is Mail Tool on Solaris, and i think xmh or something similar
> available on most other UNIX.  granted they aren't super great, but they
get
> the job done.  Netscape Mail is also on the anti-list, it's another one
that
> just doesn't know when to leave things the way they are.

Actually, I use Outlook 2000 constantly for work - the standard for
communications at my company.  I also use any number of other email clients
for my personal stuff - Outlook Express, Netscape Mail, Mutt, Pine, Mail,
and @mail.  I find Outlook (coupled with Exchange Server) to be useful for a
plethora of groupware apps, tasklists, document routing, helpdesk reporting,
calendaring, information sharing, remote connectivity, Contact management,
and yes even email.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad and not useful.

> i'm sure there are some perfectly acceptable email clients out there that
may
> even run on windows, i just know they exist.  i've never looked because i
> prefer elm over all the competition.  i'm not suggesting you all use elm
or
> pine, just either avoid those gigantic over-bloated pieces of crap, or at
least
> get them configured to be less obnoxious to those of us who don't use
them.
> all i'm asking for is a little consideration.

Believe it or not, this message was written on Outlook Express with the
formating spec'd as Plain Text.  Your mail reader has't had any problems
with *this* message has it?  So why perform these soapbox antics - it only
makes you look intolerant and closed-minded.

Kurt