[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #792 - 10 msgs

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 26 22:58:31 CST 2001

>> UNIX geeks read their mail with /REAL/ mail utilities like pine and elm and mutt
>> so they can't run into the possability of some feature ladden bloated email
>> program (Outlook comes to mind) adding in crap they never meant to have sent.
>
> Jimminy Christmas!!  Can't we all get along?  Isn't it enough to ask that
> people post to the list in plain text?  Why must we endure all this anti
> Windows/MS/GUI demagoguery?  Criminy!!!

not anti Windows/MS/GUI, anti Outlook.  you ever use outlook?  it's a giant
flaming piece of dreck that needs to be tossed into a void somewhere.  you want
GUI, there is Mail Tool on Solaris, and i think xmh or something similar
available on most other UNIX.  granted they aren't super great, but they get
the job done.  Netscape Mail is also on the anti-list, it's another one that
just doesn't know when to leave things the way they are.

i'm sure there are some perfectly acceptable email clients out there that may
even run on windows, i just know they exist.  i've never looked because i
prefer elm over all the competition.  i'm not suggesting you all use elm or
pine, just either avoid those gigantic over-bloated pieces of crap, or at least
get them configured to be less obnoxious to those of us who don't use them.
all i'm asking for is a little consideration.

-brian