[SunHELP] Sorta OT: Good Firewall

Gregory Leblanc sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 26 12:53:02 CST 2001

On 26 Jan 2001 09:30:26 -0800, Paul Khoury wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good firewall?  Everyone at work insists I should get
> a firewall
> for home use, but I still need telnet and ftp access until I can get a copy
> of ssh that works.
> I think I was using 1.2.7 before.
>
> I was planning on running on a 486DX4-75 with 24MB of RAM, as I didn't
> think a firewall should need more.  Or would it?

OpenBSD all the way.  Fast, secure, and a bloody easy install.  The
documentation is a bit sparse, and tends to suck, but there's enough
there that's correct to get a basic firewall up and running.  You should
definately scrap the commertial SSH distribution, and go with OpenSSH.
That machine is plenty fast, unless you're routing a couple of T1s or
something strange.  :)

    Greg