[SunHELP] in.named has voracious appetite for memory

Gary Gendel x3145 sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 25 07:03:23 CST 2001

Hi,

About a month ago, in.named started gobbling up memory until it crashes.  It
grows at a rate where it consumes all virtual memory and crashes somewhere
between 1 and 4 days.  The daemon is running on a SparcStation 10 (2
processors) running Solaris 2.7.

I can't find anything in the syslogs that indicate a reason for this behavior.
 Recently I added a new disk drive and mounted it as /export/home and put a
print server on the network, but I can't imagine these being the problem.  I
also added a blacklist lookup spam filter to reject mail (rblsmtp via
tcpserver), but this seems to be working correctly.

Snoop on the DNS port did find that the some rejected mail from a open relay
site was being resent several times a minute.  I fixed this by changing the
rejection code from Warning to Fatal, but this didn't seem to help the problem.

I kludged around the problem by running a cron job that kills in.named and
then restarts it, but I'd like to track down the problem instead of this
ridiculous patch.  Any ideas on what may be going on?

Regards,
Gary