[SunHELP] BASH

Gregory Leblanc sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 24 21:33:10 CST 2001

On 24 Jan 2001 21:37:36 -0500, Dale Ghent wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Shain Miley wrote:
>

> | I just made an attempt to log into one of my Solaris 8 server and I
> | cannot...I get kicked out...here is the error:
> |
> | ld.so.1: -bash: fatal: /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1: mmap failed: Resource
> | temporarily unavailable.
> |
> | I have seen this before...this was a known problem but the other sys
> | admin would just reboot.  Now that the machine is my responsibility I
> | want to get this resolved...any one know how?  Thanks
> | Shain
>
> Are you trying to log in as root? Was root's shell changed from /sbin/sh
> to /usr/bin/bash?
>
> sigh.
>
> Whatever you do, do not change root's shell from /sbin/sh to anything
> else! Why? Because /sbin/sh is a *static* binary. This type of binary does
> not rely on loadable libraries to run, and so if those libraries become
> unavailable (/usr/lib goes away, or there's no memory to load them),
> /sbin/sh will always run.

If you understand the technical points of the above, then the above
isn't necessarily true.  I like to have a staticly compiled version of
bash available in /sbin, since the sh that ships is horrible to use.  If
you don't understand what I just said, and can't figure out how to do
that, then please don't try, and you're liable to foul something up.  :)

    Greg