[SunHELP] Multiple Topics (my digest)

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 17 22:58:50 CST 2001

Subject: [SunHELP] Where is Solstice Disk Manager

> On what CD which came with Solaris 8 has the Solstice Disk Manager on
> it? I cannot seem to find it. is it seperate from the installers or is
> it on one of the installer disks?

it is on CD 2 of 2 in the directory, uhm, Products, EA, something like that,
just look around, you will find it.  if you don't know which packages to
install (one has 32-bit drivers, one has 64-bit drivers, you gotta use the
right one) use the javacrud installer.

--
Subject: RE: [SunHELP] static routes

> The one that *I* can't figure out is how to use a single default route AND
> turn on ip forwarding without manually scripting it.  If you use
> /etc/defaultrouter you get a single static route but no ip forwarding.  If
> you use gateways with a single default entry you get ip forwarding but also
> dynamic routing.  My solution is to use /etc/defaultrouter and add a boot
> time script that manually enables ip forwarding via ndd, but I wish there
> were a cleaner way.

i stared at that one for hours.  looking at the script it _SHOULD_ work the
way we think it should, but it doesn't.  i gave up in disgust and slapped the
calls to ndd at the end of S69inet

--
Subject: [SunHELP] ipnat (ipfilter)problems (fwd)

> I am trying to get nat working on my sparc 5(solaris 2.7) using ipfilter.

i'll help this guy off-list.

--
Subject: [SunHELP] Ultra 1 problems, need help badly.

> Problem one:
> Upon boot it reports:
>
> IDPROM contents are invalid.
>
> After which it seems to try to boot normally
> (normal in this case is from the network)
> and it says this:
>
> Internal loopback test -- Did not receive expected
> lookpback packet.
>
> Can't open boot device.
>
> It is trying to boot from
> /sbus/SUNW,hme at e,8c00000
>
> Should I "reset" the IDPROM?? How would I do
> that?? Is that the main suspicion of the ethernet
> problem??
>
> When I do a printenv it seems ok, and a test-all
> only fails on the internal loopback test.

this happened to me with a sparc20, pretty much exactly what you described here.
unfortunately, the sparc20 was in decline, and what you just explained is the
last things i got out of it before it went belly up.  i hope you have better
luck than i did.

-brian

ps: i sent BB a private mail a while back, asking him something, and i still
haven't received a response yet, which is odd since he is pretty good about
replying right away.