[SunHELP] X Windows bandwidth Utilisation

Kevin Stevens sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 04:33:28 CST 2001

The bandwidth isn't all that great, the problem is latency.  An X session can
require almost every packet to be acknowledged (this is highly application
dependent).  We saw a (supposed) client-server application response time suffer
by more than an order of magnitude when deployed over a WAN connection vs a LAN
environment.  The T1 showed only about 5% bandwidth utilisation max - the
problem was that the latency went from <10ms to >100ms due to the WAN
connection.  There was an "animated" device on the application screen that some
idiot programmer had set to refresh every 1/10th of a second, and that one thing
just killed the throughput.  Oops.

We've had better success, where the application suite isn't highly controlled,
by using products such as Citrix or the VNC suite for remote access.

KeS