[SunHELP] headless booting woes

George Munk sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 4 13:05:52 CST 2001

Brian,

Your serial port problem sounds exactly like one that I had. I also beat my
head against the wall before I finally found the problem. I had used admintool
to enable logging in to serial port A by unchecking "Initialize only". A bug in
admintool changed the EEPROM parameter ttya-ignore-cd from the default of true
to false. By the way, the Sun bug description (4202998) appears to be incorrect
in that is says "true" when it should say "false" and vice-versa. The eeprom
man page appears to be correct in describing ttya-ignore-cd usage.

So, the short answer to your problem may be "eeprom ttya-ignore-cd=true" from
the UNIX command line or "setenv ttya-ignore-cd true" from the "ok" prompt.

While I'm on the subject, I have seen admins criticized for using admintool. I
personally don't care for it either but I don't know of any other way to enable
logging in to a serial port. Does anyone know of a command line equivalent to
unchecking "Initialize only" for a serial port in admintool?

Thanks,
George Munk
Iomega Corp.
Phone: 801-332-3944