VxVM Upgrade (Re: [SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #749 - 17 msgs)

David Eisner sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 09:30:59 CST 2001

First, thanks Adam and Robert!

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, R. Brady - SMI SSE wrote:

> after the upgrade.  This will become a bit more tricky if you have all
> of the data in the rootdg disk group.  When yo u install the new

All the data is in rootdg, alas.

> version of Veritas, part of the steps are to run vxinstall.  The only
> purpose of this command is to create the rootdg disk group and if you
> have disks that think they belong in that disk group, problems occur.
> There are some steps that you can run through to make it work, but it
> is non-trivial.  I would also recommend that you disconnect the array
> during the install, just as a safety measure.

The upgrade_start and upgrade_finish scripts are able to do what
I want (preserve the rootdg), though they communicate to eachother
across the upgrade via the filesystem -- an option I don't have.

I think I need to wade through those scripts and see if I can figure
out what's going on.  Fun.

Worst case scenario, I'll be recovering 40 GB of data from tape ...

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle at eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |