[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #749 - 17 msgs

R. Brady - SMI SSE sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 08:43:21 CST 2001

David:

Adam is correct, the data on the disks will still be intact so all you will need to do is import the disk group that those disk reside in after the upgrade.  This will become a bit more tricky if you have all of the data in the rootdg disk group.  When yo
u install the new version of Veritas, part of the steps are to run vxinstall.  The only purpose of this command is to create the rootdg disk group and if you have disks that think they belong in that disk group, problems occur.  There are some steps that
you can run through to make it work, but it is non-trivial.  I would also recommend that you disconnect the array during the install, just as a safety measure.

If the disks ARE in a different disk group, ie olddg, what you would do is this:

o Remove array
o Install Solaris 7
o Install Solaris Patches
o Install Veritas
o Install Veritas Patches
o Attach array
o Execute 'vxdctl enable' to have the disk seen by Veritas
o Use the vxdg command to import the disk group(vxdg import olddg)

Everything should be visable!

Hope this helps!

-=-r

--
          ____
        /____/\

> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:46:19 -0500 (EST)
> From: David Eisner <cradle at Glue.umd.edu>
> To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [SunHELP] "Upgrading" Solaris and VxVM
>

> Hi there.
>
> We currently have:
>
>   SSA Model 112 JBOD
>   Ultra 2
>   Solaris 2.5
>   VxVM version 2.3
>
> The hardware won't be changing, but I'll be upgrading to:
>
>   Solaris 7
>   VxVM version 3.1
>
> The VxVM installation manual explains how to upgrade Solaris and
> VxVM at the same time (pg 45).  Unfortunately, we're in a university
> computing environment which requires a fresh install of Solaris 7.
> That is, the Solaris install procedure will involve wiping
> the internal disk on the Ultra 2 and installing Solaris 7.  Then
> I'll install VxVM 3.1.
>
> My question is, will I still be able to access the volumes
> on the SSA?  Which of the 16 upgrade steps in the install manual should
> I still perform?
>
> None of the file systems /, /usr, /var, or /opt are defined on
> volumes.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -David

> David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle at eng.umd.edu |
> CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
> University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |

> Message: 9
> From: hbuford at cnnsimail.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:05:43 -0500 (EST)
> To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
> Subject: RE: [SunHELP] "Upgrading" Solaris and VxVM
>
> David,
> 	I am not familiar with the 16 steps.  I do know that your safest option  is to unencapsulate the drive before upgrading the OS.  This would of course be required for the root drive, but you already said that your root drive is not using VxVM.  In my
experience, I have seen that data may be difficult to recover if you don't do this.  But this could be due to my relative lack of experience.  I am by no means a guru.  unencapsulating the drive and uninstalling VxVM before performing the OS upgrade shoul
d cause you the least headache.