[SunHELP] "Upgrading" Solaris and VxVM

Steffen Grunewald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 02:41:12 CST 2001

On Tue 2001-01-02 (14:46), David Eisner wrote:

> The hardware won't be changing, but I'll be upgrading to:
>
>   Solaris 7
>   VxVM version 3.1
>
> computing environment which requires a fresh install of Solaris 7.
> That is, the Solaris install procedure will involve wiping
> the internal disk on the Ultra 2 and installing Solaris 7.  Then
> I'll install VxVM 3.1.

What about attaching a second system disk where you copy Solaris 2.5
(pooh, that's quite old now) and VxVM to before proceeding ? So you've
got a backup just in case.

Would also be good to export your volumes/disk groups (is that the
correct denomination? you know, when you're planning to attach existing
volumes to another machine, because that in fact happens: new machine
with new OS)

> My question is, will I still be able to access the volumes
> on the SSA?  Which of the 16 upgrade steps in the install manual should
> I still perform?

I cannot answer this since I'm quite happy with 2.6 for now (and Vx2.somewhat)

> None of the file systems /, /usr, /var, or /opt are defined on
> volumes.

Should make things a little bit easier, I feel...

Steffen, but HW RAID is better
--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne