[SunHELP] SX frame buffer & 24-bit color

Steve Wingate sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 8 03:00:44 CST 2001

OK,
I've been at this for several days and I still have not gotten the correct
setting.
I have an SS20 with 8MB VSIMM for the onboard SX video. There is also a
TurboGX buffer that I'm not using now. I have 1280x1024 at 76 resolution set,
but for the life of me I just cannot get 24-bit color to kick in. I've found
bits and pieces of instructions but not a single set walkthrough anywhere.
I'm using Solaris 8 and CDE. I'm not interested in using dual monitors; I
don't have room for the one that I have now.

In /etc/dt/config/Xservers I have tried the following in various
combinations, all unsuccessful.

:0     Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin//Xsun :0 -nobanner
defdepth 24
:0     Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin//X -dev
/dev/fbs/cgfourteen0 defdepth 24

Is there anyone who is willing to just tell me what I need to do? I've
searched the frame buffer FAQ, docs.sun.com, solarisguide.com, sunhelp.org.
At this point I'm willing to pay someone to do it for me so I can get back
to other stuff. I'm actually set to take Solaris System Admin I class next
week.