[Sunhelp] Networking Woes (update)

Brian Hechinger wonko at tmok.com
Tue Oct 31 10:44:53 CST 2000

power went out last night.  router came back up (i LOVE UFS logging, saved me
a ton of fsck time) and all of a sudden i was able to talk to the 172.16.0.0
network.  my guess (complete guess, pulled entirely out of my ass) is that
the first time i setup the interfaces le2 was unplumbed when i ran the ndd -set
to turn ip_forwarding on.  after which i plumbed le2 and configured it.

HOWEVER!!!

why would that be a problem?  i wasn't trying to route IP from the 172.16.0.0
to another network, i was logged onto the router itself, trying to go directly
from the router to the machine on le2.  is there some sort of routing thing
that i don't know about that needs ip_forwarding to work correctly?

the summary is: it works now, and i don't know why.  which honestly bugs me
more than it not working at all.

if anyone has any ideas, let me know, i'm curious to see where my error was.
btw: i'm running NAT and everything now, and it works flawlessly.

*shrug*

thanks for all the help guys,

-brian

ps: a lot of people replied off the list, so, thanks, and you know who you are,
i can't keep track of all you guys just yet (too new *G*)