[Sunhelp] IDE disks for Ultra10

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 30 12:59:55 CST 2000

> > Of course if you've labeled the disk it will remain 8GB until
> > you trash the label and re-label the disk, the OS will always
> > use a valid label even if it doesn't describe the full disk.
> > Trash the first few blocks of the disk by running dd from /dev/zero
> > to a raw disk slice that starts at block zero on the disk.
>
> I've upgraded the OBP,

Inconsequential (and risky, only upgrade OpenBoot if it's absolutely
necessary as you can easily turn your machine into a brick).

> I've booted from a Sol8 10/00 CD.
> Now, whats this about "dd from /dev/zero to a raw disk slice"

If you previously labeled the disk then even Solaris 8 10/00 will
use that label and will not allow you to access the entire disk.
So invalidating the existing label and writing a new, correct label
is the next step.

> I'm not familiar with the dd command - I read the man pages and I THINK
> I see what you're talking about...
> so I do a ....????
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

Yes, but you only need to erase the label so limit it to "count=8" or so.
s2 is the customary slice that encompasses the "entire" disk including
block 0.  s0 may also work if it starts at block 0 according to the label
on the disk (yours did).

> Below is a copy of the format/partition/print output.
> as you can see - I reset the table back to the original but Sol 8
> with the latest OBP still sees it as ~8GB ... therefore I'm assuming its
> the label I wrote to disk thats now causing the problem

Geez, how did OpenBoot ever get injected into this topic?
It has _no_ bearing on the use of large EIDE disks.  Especially
after booting OpenBoot is not involved in accessing the disks.

> any ideas???

Execute the dd command, run format, re-partition the disk for the
larger size.  After the dd format will complain about a non-existent
label, that's expected.  If it doesn't complain about an invalid label
then clearing the label did not work.

-greg