[Sunhelp] IDE disks for Ultra10

Kyle Freestone kyle at rawah.co.larimer.co.us
Mon Oct 30 11:58:31 CST 2000

OK Greg, you win.

> Yes, don't run such old operating system.  Solaris 7 and 8 support
> EIDE disks larger than 8GB, Solaris 8 10/00 and later support
> larger than 32GB.

I'm checking into compatability of our primary software with the newer
OS's. We're running 2.6 because that was the last fully supported Solaris
version before the software manufacturer started to port everything over
to NT (damn suits)

> Of course if you've labeled the disk it will remain 8GB until
> you trash the label and re-label the disk, the OS will always
> use a valid label even if it doesn't describe the full disk.
> Trash the first few blocks of the disk by running dd from /dev/zero
> to a raw disk slice that starts at block zero on the disk.

I've upgraded the OBP, I've booted from a Sol8 10/00 CD.
Now, whats this about "dd from /dev/zero to a raw disk slice"
I'm not familiar with the dd command - I read the man pages and I THINK
I see what you're talking about...
so I do a ....????

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

where /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 is the slice that I labeled to disk along with
the backup slice c0t1d0s2 - both reading ~8GB instead of 30GB
Below is a copy of the format/partition/print output.
as you can see - I reset the table back to the original but Sol 8
with the latest OBP still sees it as ~8GB ... therefore I'm assuming its
the label I wrote to disk thats now causing the problem
any ideas???

Kyle (the novice sysad)

partition> pri
Current partition table (original):
Total disk cylinders available: 16381 + 2 (reserved cylinders)

Part      Tag    Flag     Cylinders         Size            Blocks
  0 unassigned    wm       0 - 16379        7.87GB    (16380/0/0) 16511040
  1 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)            0
  2     backup    wu       0 - 16380        7.87GB    (16381/0/0) 16512048
  3 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)            0
  4 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)            0
  5 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)            0
  6 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)            0
  7 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)            0