[Sunhelp] Networking Woes

Brian Hechinger wonko at tmok.com
Mon Oct 30 10:20:04 CST 2000

ah, the joys of networking troubles....

anyway, i'm trying to setup my sparc5 as a router/firewall/nat box and i'm
having a bit of difficuly.  i haven't even gotten to the NAT/firewall part,
i can't even get it to route correctly.  maybe someone here can help me out.

i have three interfaces:

outside - le0 - xxx.yyy.45.212
dmz     - le1 - xxx.yyy.63.57
inside  - le2 - 172.16.0.1

i have ip_forwarding set on for all the interfaces.  although that shouldn't
even be an issue.  from the router, i can very easily get to the internet, as
well as get to my dmz.  i can't seem to get to my inside network for some
reason though.  setup my route with 'route add 172.16.0.0 172.16.0.1' and i
couldn't ping/telnet/etc to a machine on the inside network (172.16.1.3).
so i ran a traceroute.  it told me that there we multiple interfaces and it
was going to use le0.  well that just isn't going to work.  so i tried adding
a direct route for the host with 'route add 172.16.1.3 172.16.0.1' and it
still gave me the same problem.  i cannot, for the life of me, get this to
work and it is really starting to **** me off.

an interesting thing to note, is that S69inet is unable to figure out that we
should be a router and set things up, so i had to add my own startup script to
turn on forwarding and run rdisc and routed.  according to the rules setup in
S69inet it should enable routing mode if it finds 2 or more network interfaces
or if /etc/gateways exists.  i don't do dhcp, or any of the other things that
would stop it from going into routing mode, so i can't figure out why it doesn't
want to do that.

i am running Solaris 8 on this machine.

thanks!!

-brian