[Sunhelp] IPX Solaris version?

Bill Bradford sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 30 03:22:01 CST 2000

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 11:51:17PM -0800, Kevin Stevens wrote:
> Ok, I've done my homework on the Sun site, I have a headache now...
>Looking through the documentation, it seems that the IPX, or at least the sun4c
>architecture, is supported on Sol 7 but no longer on Sol 8?
> But there are references in several places within the "Solaris 8 on Sun
>Hardware" collection, for example the "Power Management on Sun Hardware", where
> it explicitly says that the sun4c architecture is not supported for that
> feature.  Is there an implication that the core services ARE supported?
> If Sol 8 isn't supported on IPX, how would I go about getting a copy of Sol 7
> from Sun?
> KeS

Solaris 7 is the last release from Sun to support the sun4c architecture,
no matter what the manuals say.  As for a copy of Solaris 7, your best bet
is to get a copy from a friend - or call sun and tell them you need a
Sol7 "media replacement kit".

(I used this trick to get Solaris 2.6 before they would "sell" it to me - I
called up a different department and ordered a 2.6 "emergency media replacement
kit" and had it in less than a week, while sunsales was still refusing to sell
me 2.6...)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford