[Sunhelp] Solaris 8 UFS, SunPC, AtrePort and answer to question

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Oct 26 14:32:30 CDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Brian Hechinger wrote:

| First Question:
|
| I know SUN has added several Journaling like features to Solaris 8's UFS.
| I figured it was enabled by default, but my manager thought it had to be
| turned on, but he wasn't sure so he asked me to check.  The other half of
| this question is, should i use Solaris 8's journaling option, or should i use
| ODS's metatrans journaling?  which will give me the best performance with the
| lowest overhead (all my SUN hardware at home is pre-ultra, and we have quite
| a few sparc20 machines here at work as well)

UFS Logging has been a standard part of Solaris since Solaris 7. All you
do to enable it is to mount your partitions with the "logging" option (man
mount_ufs for details). You can turn logging on for all filesystems,
including the root filesystem. Just add "logging" to the last field in
/etc/vfstab for all your UFS filesystems and reboot. For general, typical
use, I wouldnt bother with the metratrans that comes with SDS. That's
pretty much for Solaris 2.6 and below systems, and the rare case where you
want your logging on another spindle for performance reasons.

| Second Question:
|
| What are my chances of finding a version of SunPC (i have a dx33 accelerator)
| that will happily run with Solaris 8?  Also, can i put one of those 486
| replacement CPUs on this thing? (like the Evergreen ot AMD or whatever) and
| which would be the fastest?

SunPC is not supported in S8. SunPC has been superceeded by the SunPCI
product (no more Sbus x86 cards)

/dale