[Sunhelp] Solaris 8 UFS, SunPC, AtrePort and answer to question

Brian Hechinger wonko at entropy.tmok.com
Thu Oct 26 13:59:03 CDT 2000

ok guy, get ready, this is gonna be a biggie.

First Question:

I know SUN has added several Journaling like features to Solaris 8's UFS.
I figured it was enabled by default, but my manager thought it had to be
turned on, but he wasn't sure so he asked me to check.  The other half of
this question is, should i use Solaris 8's journaling option, or should i use
ODS's metatrans journaling?  which will give me the best performance with the
lowest overhead (all my SUN hardware at home is pre-ultra, and we have quite
a few sparc20 machines here at work as well)

Second Question:

What are my chances of finding a version of SunPC (i have a dx33 accelerator)
that will happily run with Solaris 8?  Also, can i put one of those 486
replacement CPUs on this thing? (like the Evergreen ot AMD or whatever) and
which would be the fastest?

Third Question:

I picked up an Artecon ArtePort Serial card.  I have a call in to Artecon
(now known as Dot Hill) and they have been extremely helpful with trying to
get me current (or at least the most current they have) drivers for this
thing to see if i can get it to work with 8, but in the meantime, does
anyone know anything about the ability to use these cards with 8?  the set
of drivers i have are for SunOS 4.x, so i know that won't help me at all.
If i hear anything from Artecon, i'll post here if you are all interested.

First Answer:

to Nick Dronen who posted last month about the ROSS CPUs in the SS10, have
you heard anything yet?  i think all you need to do is get the latest PROM
for the SS10 and they will work.  i think ROSS may even have a set of PROMS
available that makes the older hardware able to use the HyperSPARCs.

cheers,

-brian