[Sunhelp] strange 'translate' problem

Eddie Watkins eddie.watkins at mail.moray.gov.uk
Wed Oct 25 05:20:00 CDT 2000

Hi

I have come across a strange problem when running 'tr' on one of our
servers.

If we have a file with a mix of upper and lowercase text, e.g. 'ABCdef' and
run the following command as a normal user - tr "[a-z]" "[A-Z]" <file1 the
'def' is converted to 'DEF', but the 'ABC' is tranlated to weird characters
eg 'Ab'.  If I login as root and the su to the user it works fine.

I have checked all the paths and environmental variables and can see no
difference between the two setups.  Does anyone have any idea what could be
going wrong.

Thanks

Eddie Watkins