[Sunhelp] ShowMeTV

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Oct 23 10:49:57 CDT 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 05:36:12PM +0530, Ronojoy Adhikari wrote:
> Dear All,
> I want to play VCDs (MPEG bitstream stored in the mode-2form-2 sectors)
> using ShowMeTV. Since there is no option for reading VCDs in the file menu
> of ShowMeTV how does one do it ? My OS is Solaris 7, and I know that the
> kernel can read VCDs, but don't know how! Can anybody help ?
> Thanks,
> Ronojoy.

I was never successful reading VCDs under Solaris, unless I took them to
another machine (Windows or Linux box) and "ripped" the VCD to a .mpg file
first (or as a .bin/.cue, then used vcdgear to convert to .mpg).  Once
I got everything to a .mpg file, showmetv works great.

I suspect the next version of ShowmeTV will support directly playing
DVDs, since that filesystem is now recognized under Solaris and some
Sun boxes now come with DVD-ROM drives.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford