[Sunhelp] About top

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Thu Oct 19 17:25:29 CDT 2000

Hi,  I can see why a priviledged top is bad, and why some system admins
might not wanting users to have that information anyway.  But alot of
functionality in top does not need special priviledges anyway.  I have a
copy of top that displays just about everything you'd expect from top
except it doesnt resolve UID's to usernames.  The file permissions?

-rwx------   1 me guest       59780 Sep  7  1999 top.unpriv
crw-r-----   1 root     sys       13,   1 Oct  3 23:52
/devices/pseudo/mm at 0:kmem

top.unpriv -v reports "version 3.5beta7".

p.s. prstat is nice!