[Sunhelp] difference between VM and DiskSuite

Reagen Ward ward at zilla.nu
Sat Oct 14 12:29:25 CDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 12:35:09PM -0400, William Ng wrote:
> All,
> I have a question, I would like to know what is the difference between
> Vertias Volume Manager and Sun DiskSuite? Or any web site that mentions,
> please let me know. Thanks.

Veritas costs a lot more, for one.  It has the ability to let you grow/shrink
filesystems, take snapshots of a filesystem for backup, all kinds of stuff.
DiskSuite can only let you grow if you have another slice available; it's
entirely slice-based.

Veritas has two big downsides:  1.  It looses slice information on the mirror
of a mirrored root disk, and 2.  Since it's not intergrated with the OS,  good
luck booting from a CD and trying to repair damaged filesystems.

What we do at work is use DiskSuite to mirror the root disk, and use VM for all
the other storage.

> Also one more question on what is the command to capture the incoming
> info:
> Here is the scenario:
> System A has web server using port 80 and someone on system B use web
> browser to access system A web server. Is there any command that A can
> capture where system B come from or info?

Netstat might have what you need.

Reagen