[Sunhelp] Re: SunOS 4.1 CD Problem

blake.r.matheny at mail.sprint.com blake.r.matheny at mail.sprint.com
Thu Oct 12 09:34:24 CDT 2000

--openmail-part-2ade3cd4-00000001

OK people, I got some good feedback yesterday, unfortunately none of it
resolved my problem. Here's what people said.
>From Steffen:
	boot cdrom should do - you'd have to enter "new mode" before.
	Is your NVRAM still OK ?
	Did someone tamper with it and switch it to non-512 byte blocking?
	Did you really say 4.1 (without anything??? - I'd try 4.1.4)
>From Bill:
	I always used b sd(0,6,2)
Boot cdrom does not work, I get an Illegal Instruction error. My NVRAM
is brand new, I replaced it a week ago. No one tampered with this
machine, like I said brand new NVRAM. Yes it's just plain old 4.1, and
4.1.4 isn't an option because I don't have that on CD. I can't type b
sd(0,6,2) because my OBP is too new and that syntax is no longer
supported. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks.
-Blake

My Original Post:
	OK, I've got a SunOS 4.1 CDROM. It specifically states support for
the
Sun4c architecture, yet when trying to boot the cd from an IPC I get
errors. The instructions say to use b sd(,6,2) -sw to boot off the cd,
but my ROM rev no longer supports that. Every combination of boot
/sbus/esp/sd@* and boot cdrom * that I have tried has failed with 1 of
2 error messages, either Illegal Instruction or The program does not
look executable. I know for a fact that this is a sun bootable cdrom
(it's a Sony CDU-8012). So, my question is: What do I need to do to
boot SunOS 4.1 on this IPC. Thanks in advance.
-Blake

--openmail-part-2ade3cd4-00000001--