[Sunhelp] DNS for a lan.

Tim Conrad tconrad at edisonschools.com
Wed Oct 4 08:03:09 CDT 2000

If you have access to a box running a newer distro of linux, they tend to come
with the config files to do a caching-only nameserver. With the source for
BIND, you get the config files to do it, also.

If you want to do more than that, and don't want to learn BIND, something like
Webmin will also work nicely. It'll configure your DNS for you, as well as
pretty much all of hte rest of the services you may be running on the box. I'm
fairly sure it runs on Solaris, but not completely sure.

However, David is right, getting "DNS and BIND" is a worthwhile investment.
Plus, if you learn BIND, it's another thing to add to your resume.

Note, however, that the Linux-HOWTO on setting up a caching only nameserver
isn't written right, and will lead to a config that doesn't work. (At least
when I tried it a few months ago.)

Tim