[SunHELP] Replacing password on Solaris 2.X

Peter L. Wargo sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 29 09:22:25 CST 2000

on 11/29/00 6:21, Earl Baugh at earl at baugh.org wrote:

> I've got a box that I got from someone, which we don't
> know the root password for.
>
> I not-completely-thinking booted off CD-ROM, and edited the
> shadow password to remove it, and then saved it before I
> went "dooh" since I know that I need to run pwconv.

Huh?  Not in my experience.  You should just be able to boot off of cd,
mount the original root partition in /mnt, then vi /mnt/etc/shadow and
delete the root password.  sync it (I'm old, and still don't trust unix),
then reboot.  It'll come up, you can do a root login, there will be no
password.

I do this at least weekly with without a problem.  If yours didn't work...
Perhaps you didn't remove all of the password, or deleted one of the :'s as
well....

There should be 8 :'s following the user name.

-Pete