[SunHELP] Replacing password on Solaris 2.X

Earl Baugh sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 29 08:21:13 CST 2000

I've got a box that I got from someone, which we don't
know the root password for.

I not-completely-thinking booted off CD-ROM, and edited the
shadow password to remove it, and then saved it before I
went "dooh" since I know that I need to run pwconv.
The problem is that pwconv can't be made to "fix" a particular
file  (you can't give it a path) and vipw doesn't seem to work
either.  (problems with the /tmp file system not being writable)
The CD-ROM file system is read only (obviously) so I can't make
links or anything like that.  I even tried copying the shadow and
passwd file from the CDROM area, no go.

What's the magic to get this file re-set?  I don't care
about the system configuration of the box, (just trying
to get it up to get some data off the drive) so I wouldn't
mind doing basically a "sys-unconf" to the box (but I'd have
to do that by hand) to get it to prompt me for a new passwd
for root.  I'm looking for the quickest/easiest way here...

Earl