[SunHELP] Sol7 and Adaptec 2490

James Lockwood sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 29 04:13:08 CST 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Dan Cuthbert wrote:

> Can Sol 7 see and work with a Adaptec 2490 scsi card? is there anything i
> have to fiddle with to get the beast up and running, or would it be better
> to run sol8

I assume you mean 2940, one of the more popular Adaptec lines.  Solaris
x86 supports just about any version of this card "out of the box", while
Solaris SPARC only supports a specific version (2940OF) under certain OS
revs with a 32-bit kernel, and the boot PROM does not support booting from
the card.

If you're running Solaris x86 I can recommend the card as a good solution,
but not for Solaris SPARC (where Symbios cards are a much better fit).

-James