[SunHELP] Starting Xsun without framebuffer device

Martin Åkesson sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 24 05:03:01 CST 2000

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with a java application that needs an X server to
run.  Actually its the server part of a postcard drawing app for a website.
Anyhow, my problem is simple - the server that is running the app does not
have a framebuffer device:

java 11#>./Xsun
/dev/fb: No such file or directory
Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type

Fatal server error:
InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb

So, is there a way to start X without this device?  I was thinking of making
some kind character device that would emulate the videomemory of the
framebuffer.  But for this to work it looks like I need a driver..  so
anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

/martin