[SunHELP] tip and serial console woes

Wolfgang Engelien sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 22 15:26:42 CST 2000

Hi Brian,

>ok, i connect two sun boxes together.  both are
>using serial port b.  when i try to connect with
>tip using 'tip hardwire' it reports 'connected'
Ok, I guess that you are using the "right" cable.
(pin 2 and 3 crossed, 7 through).

>and then immediately hangs (hard, even killing
>tip from anohter login never gets my shell back
>i end up having to force the window shut with
>meta-q)
Hm, I think you did not get a shell at all.

>ports are set to Terminal - Hardwire.
Ok, but did you set the console terminal to the
serial port b? (within openboot output-device to
ttyb and input-device to ttyb)
(Only, if you disconnect the keyboard and connect
the "terminal" cable to the serial port a, you
don't need to change any settings)

In addition: I "managed" in the past to hang the
console shell in a similar setup. The only cure
was to restart the computer :-(

Wolfgang

#####
# Wolfgang Engelien