[SunHELP] tip and serial console woes

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 22 14:27:42 CST 2000

i am having a very hard time getting the serial console to work.  please help
me as i will have pulled all my hair out soon!!

ok, i connect two sun boxes together.  both are using serial port b.  when i
try to connect with tip using 'tip hardwire' it reports 'connected' and then
immediately hangs (hard, even killing tip from anohter login never gets my shell
back i end up having to force the window shut with meta-q)

ports are set to Terminal - Hardwire.  i don't have any terminals right now,
but the last time i hooked a terminal or pc with term software up to a SUN it
Just Worked(TM)

i should really break down and buy a console server, but until then, how do
make this work?  this is the testing stage, next step is to plug the "server"
and of the cable into a box with no OS and install via serial console.  but
i'd like to leave it hooked up then so i always have console on that box.

thanks guys.

-brian