[SunHELP] File System

Matt Tilley sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 22 08:50:03 CST 2000

Boy was I way off base. I read Bob's answer below and was quite surprised.
I didn't realize that besides Veritas, Sun's FS can be changed on the fly.
I did a little more checking (feeling quite embarassed) and came across this
in the FAQ (even more embarassing!!):

3.69) How can I grow a UFS filesystem?

You can grow but not shrink a UFS filesystem if you manage to increase the
size of the partition it lives in, with the following command:

/usr/lib/fs/ufs/mkfs -G -M /current/mount /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZsA newsize

Specifying the current mount point and raw device as well as the new size in
512 byte blocks.

You can do this even when the filesystem is mounted and in use.

- Matt