[Sunhelp] sunfreeware.com and Netscape

Brian Hechinger wonko at tmok.com
Wed Nov 15 15:30:33 CST 2000

just an FYI related to sunfreeware.com and Netscape.

here is something that has happened to me quite often with downloading stuff
off of sunfreeware.com with Netscape.  Netscape renames the file blah-local.gz
to blah-local fooling you into believing that it has been unzipped.  this,
however, is an incorrect assumption based on a false action.  the file is still
compressed just renamed.  moving the file back to blah-local.gz and running it
through gzip will give you a usable package.

don't know if this still happens or if it was just me, i generally use ftp and
pkg-get (http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/pkg-get.html) to retrieve these
packages.

-brian