[Sunhelp] outlook nightmares!!

Kalyandurga, Mohammed I sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 6 04:23:48 CST 2000

--Boundary_(ID_bCH1BQByhGM+m72lM8RDRg)

I have setup a sun server as proxy server for the pc network . My sun is
running with sol 7. and netscape proxy server 1.12. and has two ethernet
cards.

Ip address of one Ehternet card is for internet i.e. same network as router.
Ip address of another ethernet is for local network i.e same network as all
PC's.

/etc/defaultrouter and /etc/gateways has entry of router ip address.

At the pc side, the gateway is my sun machine ip. ( The ip which is same as
PC network IP). and Explorer has proxy settings of my sun machine and port
8080.
Browsing is perfectly fine. Including SSL sites. So, what is my problem ?

My problem is  Customer has  "web.mail.com" account and he is able to access
his mail through Web browser.
Since Mail.com gives it's POP and SMTP server address for outlook to be used
to send and recive emails, I have configured outlook with all the
recommended settings of web.mail.com. When I do "send and recieve" the
outlook says pop and smtp servers could not be found. What may be wrong ?
any light on this is appriciated.

Note: when we change the IP of the PC which has its outlook configured,
outside our proxy server, i.e make it to same network IP as router then we
are able to send and receive the mails through OUTLOOK for the same POP and
SMTP configuration.

TIA,

Mohammed Ilyas K.

--Boundary_(ID_bCH1BQByhGM+m72lM8RDRg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>outlook nightmares!!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have setup a sun server as proxy =
server for the pc network . My sun is running with sol 7. and netscape =
proxy server 1.12. and has two ethernet cards.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Ip address of one Ehternet card is for =
internet i.e. same network as router.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Ip address of another ethernet is for =
local network i.e same network as all PC's.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">/etc/defaultrouter and /etc/gateways =
has entry of router ip address.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">At the pc side, the gateway is my sun =
machine ip. ( The ip which is same as PC network IP). and Explorer has =
proxy settings of my sun machine and port 8080.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Browsing is perfectly fine. Including =
SSL sites. So, what is my problem ?</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">My problem is  Customer =
has  "web.mail.com" account and he is able to access his =
mail through Web browser. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Since Mail.com gives it's POP and =
SMTP server address for outlook to be used to send and recive emails, I =
have configured outlook with all the recommended settings of =
web.mail.com. When I do "send and recieve" the outlook says =
pop and smtp servers could not be found. What may be wrong ? any light =
on this is appriciated.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Note: when we change the IP of the PC =
which has its outlook configured, outside our proxy server, i.e make it =
to same network IP as router then we are able to send and receive the =
mails through OUTLOOK for the same POP and SMTP =
configuration.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">TIA,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Mohammed Ilyas K.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_bCH1BQByhGM+m72lM8RDRg)--