[Sunhelp] Sun U5 questions + more.

brian sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 4 08:58:54 CST 2000

Bob Minvielle wrote:

> First, the easy one:
> I have a local lan in the house with a Linux
> box as the gateway to a dedicated connection.
> When I installed Solaris on the U5 it did not
> like the static IP and then did not like the
> dynamic IP... seems to be wanting to look itself
> up or something. So it is "sortof" doing dhcp
> to the server, and it does grab an IP during startup,
> although it can not find its hostname.
>
> What is the easiest way to off the dhcp on the U5?
> I know how to get it to have a static (hosts, hme0
> files, etc) but I am not too sure of how to turn
> off the dhcp.

the easiest thing to do would be to KEEP the dhcp on the ultra.  on the
linux gateway, try adding something similar to the following to your
/etc/dhcpd.conf file:

# /etc/dhcpd.conf
default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 43200;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option routers 192.168.1.1;
option domain-name-servers xx.x.x.xx, xx.x.x.xx;
option domain-name "your.domain.name";

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.100;
        range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.150 192.168.1.200;
}

host ultra5_hostname {
        hardware ethernet 8:0:20:f0:f2:1f;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.201;
        option host-name "ultra5_hostname";
        option domain-name "your.domain.name";
}

the key here is the  "option host-name" parameter in the static
assignment for the u5.  this will give the solaris machine the hostname
info that it is looking for at boot time.

cheers,
-brian