[Sunhelp] Sun U5 questions + more.

Bob Minvielle sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 4 06:12:35 CST 2000

Hello all. Fisrt time I write to the list, so a little
background first :)

I have been a linux fan for some time (1993) and have
used Solaris/AIX/HP-UP etc in the past, but am by
no means a good Solaris admin. A good linux admin
perhaps, but not that familliar with Solaris. I have
always been on the "user" side of Solaris.
Anyhows, I purchased a Sun U5/400 to do some math
related stuff on. I have three questions...

First, the easy one:
I have a local lan in the house with a Linux
box as the gateway to a dedicated connection.
When I installed Solaris on the U5 it did not
like the static IP and then did not like the
dynamic IP... seems to be wanting to look itself
up or something. So it is "sortof" doing dhcp
to the server, and it does grab an IP during startup,
although it can not find its hostname.

What is the easiest way to off the dhcp on the U5?
I know how to get it to have a static (hosts, hme0
files, etc) but I am not too sure of how to turn
off the dhcp.

Second, I _just_ so happened to have a scsi card
hanging around that the prom will boot from.
(ok, I am a scsi fanatic and all of my machines are
scsi) So I have a spare SCSI UW drive hanging out
of the case with linux on it for testing purposes.
What would be the simplest way to get that drive
in the machine?? Velcro on top of the floppy?
(I do not really want to remove the IDE, as
Sun did not give me a copy of Solaris to load
onto a scsi drive) I was thinking of getting a
Sun 911 or 411 case, and just dealing with the
68pin conversion on the drive. Anyone else doing
something like this? What do you think of the Sun
411/611/911 boxes?

Third, and most strange question:

Shortly after ordering the Sun U5, one of the
people that I consult for heard I was in need of a
machine (the fastest machine that I use to have
was a 200Mhz AMD and a Sparcstation 4) so they
gave me a HP Visualize X-class for some work
that I did. Don't get me wrong, the machine is fast.
It is a dual 733, 0.5 Gigs ram, 2 9.1gig 10Krpm
SCSI U-160 etc. etc. Now I am in a situation.
I need to off one of these things. (I am in need
of cash)... I also need to do a lot in mathematica,
but I do not have a copy for solaris so I cannot
do a direct comparison. (however, I have compared
mathematica 3.0 on a Sun U5/360 vs P-III 600...
the U5/360 was 4seconds faster in the test notebook
I ran which is a math problem of the type I usually
encounter)... Anyone have a (sortof) unbiased
opinion on this? Almost everyone I talk to is either
a Sun hater/lover or a Intel hater/lover but not
really unbiased. I know I should look at what I use
it for, but spending more money for a mathematica
license just to test Solaris is not an option.
One of them has to go.

Thanks for the help.

BTW: I have used StarOffice on Linux,winblows, and
now Solaris. The U5/400 loads StarOffice
(to my surprise at least) faster than a machine
I used to have at work (PIII 600/winblows).

=====
Bob
baddlci at yahoo.com
number9 at dimlight.org