[Sunhelp] Manual tape handling commands.

Mike Meredith sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 3 08:17:28 CST 2000

Hi

On Friday 03 November 2000 10:57, you wrote:
> Are there any commands in Solaris 8 for manual handling of tapes in
> an L280 tape loader?
> I'm looking for something equivalent to mt load/unload or the
> SCSI-CAM utils available in Tru64.

Solaris 8 doesn't have the commands to do this, but it's still doable.

First make sure your L280 is in "random" mode rather than the default
automatic mode (this may not be necessary, but that's how my L280 is
configured).

Then edit /kernel/drv/sgen.conf to enable the sgen generic SCSI driver.
You will need to specify that you want "changer" devices to be probed
for, and that you want to probe LUN 1 of the L280's scsi ID. Once it is
working (after loading the module with "modload
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/sgen; devfsadm"), you should have a device file in
/dev/scsi/changer

Finally you need to obtain "mtx" and compile it (look on Freshmeat). It
sometimes gives me errors saying something like "Can't find data
transfer element", but repeating the command works.

--
peace, love, and chocolate chip cookies