[Sunhelp] Rack mount E3500

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Mar 23 14:12:51 CST 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, ds wrote:

> "Fuerst, Robert C. (Chris)" wrote:
> >
> > I wonder what the cost of the 3500's was?  I have a hard enough time proving
>
> $75,000 w/2 336MHz Processors, 1GB RAM, 6x9.2GB HD, 19" Monitors and
> fiber backplane.

This begs an interesting question: why didn't you purchase an E450
instead?

An identically configured E450 would be faster (due to the lower latancy
of the single UPA switch) and less than half the cost.  Buying an E3500
for the expandability makes little sense given the cost trends of the
chassis and CPU modules, if you need to expand past 4 CPU's in 9-12 months
it may well be cheaper to buy an entirely new system at that point.

-James