[Sunhelp] Sol8 on SS5-110

Christopher J Ceska chris at apk.net
Thu Jun 1 12:44:55 CDT 2000

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 09:38:07PM -0700, Kevin Stevens wrote:
> That's what I thought, too, but I didn't want to actually JAM my foot down my
> throat.  Could someone clarify?
>
> BTW, Chris, I'd be interested in hearing your alternate wm experience, you can
> take it offline if it's not of general interest.

bottom line, the SX is faster than any SBUS buffer at any
resolution/color depth.  There is documentation from sun and third
parties that back this up.  SBUS == slow.

Currently I use the old version of afterstep - like 1.0, mainly because
it is fast, and doesnt eat colors for no reason.  I use the 8 bit icons
- because I like to save my colors for my applications.  I disable
dtlogin - it is useless, I know what computer I am at, I know how to
login, and I know what window manager to use.  afterstep is fast and
works well, I have been using it for about 4 years now, so I have pretty
much tweaked everything that can be tweaked.  don't use afterstep
classic - it is buggy, and crashes.

If you really want to get something minimal and fast, try twm.  I used
twm for about 6 months - its very small, and fast.  I think it is
included somewhere with the openwindows distribution.

fvwm2 is kind nice on the sparc too.

anyone using cde that isnt forced to by a university or college should
be zapped by a tazer.

if you want to talk more, we can take it off the list.

--
Christopher J Ceska                                         chris at apk.net
Postmaster					    	  +1.216.241.7166