[Sunhelp] hme NIC lying?

Jim Howell jwh2 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 1 09:17:41 CDT 2000

--=====================_98004656==_.ALT

Hi,
         It isn't lying, Suns will usually auto-sense the speed correctly
but do not seem to auto-sense the duplex setting right, to just confuse you
it will sometimes appear to work but if loaded will behave badly.  To deal
with this I put the following into /etc/system:
set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap=0

After putting that into /etc/system you will need to reboot to make them
take affect.  These can all be set via ndd but those settings would be
reset the next you reboot.
Jim

At 09:23 AM 6/1/2000 -0400, Fuerst, Robert C. (Chris) wrote:

> [...]
>get  an answer from the switch side.  I'm a long way from expert on this,
>but I just went through a problem  involving Cisco Switches and the hme
>cards installed in a e4500.  The "end  game" was that (in our environment)
>both ends needed to be set to half  duplex for best throughput.  The tip
>for me was in the SunSolve Infodoc  17416, dated 03/2000 which
>states:   "Full Duplex is only supported when connecting two Sun systems
>back-to-back  using a crossover cable - IEEE Industry standards for Full
>Duplex  inter-operability between vendors will be completed in the near
>future."
>
>Personally I found this astonishing, but the setting marriage
>between  devices solved our network problem.  Anyone that can shed some
>light on this, PLEASE speak up.  -----Original Message-----  From:
>Robert.Cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk
>[<mailto:Robert.Cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk>mailto:Robert.Cross at scottish
>-newcastle.co.uk]  Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 5:31 AM  To:
>sunhelp at sunhelp.org  Subject: [Sunhelp] hme NIC lying?
>
>Strange query for all the network experts out there...
>
>... Has anyone come across a case where the hme interface lies about
>what  duplex setting it's using?
>
>Reason being is that we've moved one of our interfaces from one hub
>to  another.  The new hub  reckons that it's using full duplex, but the
>interface reckons on only  half-duplex. And yes, we have tried
>the  original hub port (reported as full duplex) and other new hub ports
>(still  half-duplex).
>
>Any advice welcome...
>
>Bob Cross.
>
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  This message
>is confidential.  It may also be privileged or  protected by other legal
>rules.  It does not constitute an  offer or acceptance of an offer, nor
>shall it form any part  of a legally binding contract.  If you have
>received this  communication in error, please let us know by reply
>then  destroy it.  You should not use, print, copy the message
>or  disclose its contents to anyone.
>
>E-mail is subject to possible data corruption, is not  secure, and its
>content does not necessarily represent the  opinion of this Company.  No
>representation or warranty is  made as to the accuracy or completeness of
>the information  and no liability can be accepted for any loss arising
>from  its use.
>
>This e-mail and any attachments are not guaranteed to be  free from
>so-called computer viruses and it is recommended  that you check for such
>viruses before down-loading it to  your computer equipment.  This Company
>has no control over  other websites to which there may be hypertext links
>and no  liability can be accepted in relation to those sites.
>
>Scottish & Newcastle plc  Registered in Scotland, Registration Number
>16288  Registered Office: 50 East Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh, EH4 1RR  * * *

--=====================_98004656==_.ALT

Hi,<br>
<x-tab>        </x-tab>It isn't
lying, Suns will usually auto-sense the speed correctly but do not seem
to auto-sense the duplex setting right, to just confuse you it will
sometimes appear to work but if loaded will behave badly.  To deal
with this I put the following into /etc/system:<br>
set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0<br>
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1<br>
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0<br>
set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap=0<br>
set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap=0<br>
After putting that into /etc/system you will need to reboot to make them
take affect.  These can all be set via ndd but those settings would
be reset the next you reboot.<br>
Jim<br>
At 09:23 AM 6/1/2000 -0400, Fuerst, Robert C. (Chris) wrote:<br>
full through a Cisco switch to our citric metaframe system off my hme1
fastether card</font> <br>
MetaFrame/Windows terminal server for windows apps.  The NT gurus
had to force</font> <br>
<ul>
an answer from the switch side.</font> <font size=2>
I'm a long way from expert on this, but I just went through a problem</font> <font size=2>
involving Cisco Switches and the hme cards installed in a e4500.  The "end</font> <font size=2>
game" was that (in our environment) both ends needed to be set to half</font> <font size=2>
duplex for best throughput.  The tip for me was in the SunSolve Infodoc</font> <font size=2>
17416, dated 03/2000 which states:</font> <font size=2>
 "Full Duplex is only supported when connecting two Sun systems back-to-back</font> <font size=2>
using a crossover cable - IEEE Industry standards for Full Duplex</font> <font size=2>
inter-operability between vendors will be completed in the near future."</font> <br>
Personally I found this astonishing, but the setting marriage between</font> <font size=2>
devices solved our network problem.</font> <font size=2>
Anyone that can shed some light on this, PLEASE speak up. </font>
-----Original Message----- <font size=2>