[Sunhelp] Sparcstation 10 and SM81

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Thu Jun 29 12:45:06 CDT 2000

>> Does anybody have a Sparcstation 10 with an SM81 module in it?
>> I've got a new SM81 module and am having a bear of a time getting it to
>> work...I'm trying to determine whether the module is bad or whether
>> I've got something else wrong.  I'm especially wondering if RAM
>> speed is an issue with these modules.  I've got a 2.25 PROM so I don't
>> think that's an issue.   I've tried the boot -r, and even tried to
>> re-load the
>> OS (Solaris 7) but still get panic's...
>
>2.22 or higher is needed, which you've got.  I've used SM81's in SS20's
>before and as they're just a faster version of the SM71, they should work
>in SS10's as well.

That's what I thought as well.  I recently tried a dual SM512 module in both
boxes and had problems (only single CPU showed up).  So, I was leaning towards
there being some other problem...since the SM512 was retested in a SS20 and
works just fine.  Getting two bad modules in a row (from different sources)
seemed pretty remote.   Also, since the machine boots and has run for a
bit...i.e. booted and started X, install program got to where it was
"analyzing the disk for upgrade", I was suspecting that there may be a memory
issue or PROM one.  Last night I tried re-installing the OS, and it ran
for a bit and then paniced.  It got in a loop, so I stopped it. The next boot
(and last one I tried) gave me a "SIMM" error, so I was wondering whether or
not it needed faster memory.  I'm gonna swap memory around tonight to see
if that makes a difference (but I dont' have anything that's "faster" than
standard memory for a SS10..[I've been told that SS20 and some Ultra memory
works in the SS10's and is a faster speed...]).

>I'd suspect a dud module.  A full printout of the POST messages (from
>serial port A) in diag mode might confirm this.

Is this different than the info when the machine boots via console?
(I can turn on diag and do that easily enought...) I get output from
the boot process, which seemed to indicate that the module wasn't shot.

>> (p.s. I'm not currently subscribed to this list, so if you've got any
>> info, please include earl at baugh.org in your reply)
>
>Done, though consider joining.

Just did before this message...

Earl