[Sunhelp] Sparcstation 10 and SM81

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Jun 29 00:51:34 CDT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Earl Baugh wrote:

> Does anybody have a Sparcstation 10 with an SM81 module in it?
> I've got a new SM81 module and am having a bear of a time getting it to
> work...I'm trying to determine whether the module is bad or whether
> I've got something else wrong.  I'm especially wondering if RAM
> speed is an issue with these modules.  I've got a 2.25 PROM so I don't
> think that's an issue.   I've tried the boot -r, and even tried to
> re-load the
> OS (Solaris 7) but still get panic's...

2.22 or higher is needed, which you've got.  I've used SM81's in SS20's
before and as they're just a faster version of the SM71, they should work
in SS10's as well.

I'd suspect a dud module.  A full printout of the POST messages (from
serial port A) in diag mode might confirm this.

> (p.s. I'm not currently subscribed to this list, so if you've got any
> info, please include earl at baugh.org in your reply)

Done, though consider joining.

-James