[Sunhelp] Re: change nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf online

Anthony David adavid at deetya.gov.au
Wed Jun 28 01:46:07 CDT 2000

"Jarrett Carver" <solarboyz1 at hotmail.com> writes:

> Here is the situation. We have recently jumpstarted our systems to Solaris
> 7. After they are jumpstarted we rdist a new nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf.
> The problem is that normal services (ping, telnet, etc..) don't pick up the
> change to the nsswitch.conf, and don't resolve the hostname via DNS. I am
> able to do a manual nslookup of hostnames and it works. I usually end up
> rebooting and hostnames resolve fine when the system comes back up.
> However, I would like to avoid rebooting, does anyone know what process need
> to be HUP or stopped and started to re-read the nsswitch.conf.
>
> Any clues are appreciated. Thanks.

Wierd. is there something in the /etc/nscd.conf (Name Server Cache
Daemon?)

Most apps show when you truss them, that they read the nsswitch and
resolv conf files when required and don't cache them.

Regards
Gambling: A discretionary tax on  | Anthony David
those who were asleep during high | Systems Administrator
school mathematics classes        |