[Sunhelp] Re:Network Interfaces

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Tue Jun 27 22:41:04 CDT 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, James Hall wrote:

| I have an Ultra 10 with 4 Quad ethernet cards for a total of 13 Ethernet
| ports(1 on board). Is there a place that tells you how many interface all
| different Sun Boxes support.
|
| for example can the Sun E450 support 32 interfaces because of all the PCI Slots
| available? 8 x 4 Quad Ethernet PCI Cards.
|
| is there a set limit for all Sun boxes perhaps because Solaris can't support
| it.

The FE handbook isnt too clear on this, but it does say the following:

      5.One CPU per port is recommended for maximum throughput.
      6.Two CPUs per QFE/P are recommended for >=200MHz systems.

I have seen limits imposed on other cards, though (both PCI and Sbus). For
example, I've seen Sun docs state that you can put only 3 dual channel
SCSI cards in certain systems (I think I'm thinking of the netra 1405.)

/dale