[Sunhelp] Memory for E450 and E420R compatible?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jun 27 13:33:50 CDT 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Wolfgang Engelien wrote:

> Can somebody with a recent FEH or solid understanding
> please confirm that the memory modules of the E450 and
> E420R are interchangeble?

The E420R is based off of the U80, which uses the same memory modules as
the 450.  Maximum density per module is 256MB for a total of 4GB.

> I am just getting a E420R with 4GB ram and wonder, if I
> can take 1GB out and put it into my older E450.

Yes, as you'll be pulling 4 256MB DIMMs.  Keep in mind that you'll go from
4-way memory interleaving to 1-way on the 420, which may hurt performance
with multiple CPU's.  Better to pull 2 banks if possible, this will give
you 2-way interleave on both systems.

> Is it also possible to put the same memory into a U2?

The same type of memory, yes, but the highest density the U2 can take is
128MB per DIMM.

-James