[Sunhelp] Sparcserver 1000E Startup Message Question

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Jan 26 23:29:48 CST 2000

Never worked with an SS1000E, but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Dave Garten wrote:

> My SS1000E fires up with Open Boot through an attempt to boot the sd at 0,0
> drive.
>
> /io-unit at f,e200000/sbi/dma at 0,81000/esp at 0,80000/sd at 0,0
>
> I then get a message, "Missing SCSI Message. Fatal error.  SCSI device 0,0
> is not responding.  Can't open boot device."

Does the drive spin up?  What drives do you have installed?  How about
termination on the SCSI bus?

> Stop-A followed by "boot" will get me another device:
>
> /io-unit at f,e200000/sbi/ebuffer at 0,40000/le at 0,60000
>
> which gets me "Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP Packet." repeating until I
> Stop-A.

Yeah, it's trying to boot from the network there, and it's looking for a
server to netboot from.

> I don't have any documentation and docs.sun.org is no help on SS1000s.
> Nothing in my (meager) experience to help me.  On power up I see no activity
> on the internal drives or the CDROM other than power and self diagnostic
> blinking.  The front panel LEDs go from "green -yellow-off" to
> "green-off-green"  The disks appear normal.

I haven't gotten a chance to see what information is in the SHR about
the SS1000, but at least one other person on the list has one.  It might
have information on what those little blinkies mean.

> If I plunk a CDROM and disks on the external SCSI port of the motherboard, I
> can boot and load Solaris, but he internal disks are still "off line."  The
> Diags in Open Boot don't provide any indication of the internal drives in
> Probe-scsi or Probe-scsi-all...hough they exit normally.  Test-all exits
> normally.  I'm stumped.  Anyone with help would be appreciated.

Sounds like your disks are either bad (ie broken and need to be replace)
or set to NOT spin up on boot.  You might check the settings on the
drives, and put your hand on them after the machine powers up to see if
they're spinning.
	Greg