[Sunhelp] Sparcserver 1000E Startup Message Question

Dave Garten dgarten at nova.org
Wed Jan 26 22:44:08 CST 2000

My SS1000E fires up with Open Boot through an attempt to boot the sd at 0,0
drive.

/io-unit at f,e200000/sbi/dma at 0,81000/esp at 0,80000/sd at 0,0

I then get a message, "Missing SCSI Message. Fatal error.  SCSI device 0,0
is not responding.  Can't open boot device."

Stop-A followed by "boot" will get me another device:

/io-unit at f,e200000/sbi/ebuffer at 0,40000/le at 0,60000

which gets me "Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP Packet." repeating until I
Stop-A.

I don't have any documentation and docs.sun.org is no help on SS1000s.
Nothing in my (meager) experience to help me.  On power up I see no activity
on the internal drives or the CDROM other than power and self diagnostic
blinking.  The front panel LEDs go from "green -yellow-off" to
"green-off-green"  The disks appear normal.

If I plunk a CDROM and disks on the external SCSI port of the motherboard, I
can boot and load Solaris, but he internal disks are still "off line."  The
Diags in Open Boot don't provide any indication of the internal drives in
Probe-scsi or Probe-scsi-all...hough they exit normally.  Test-all exits
normally.  I'm stumped.  Anyone with help would be appreciated.

Dave Garten
Washington DC